Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yanko Design - Latest Posts

Yanko Design - Latest Posts

Link to Yanko Design

Robox Boxes Coagulate!

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 02:58 AM PDT

Like all good, pure, family-oriented projects, this one was designed by a parent for some childrens. These childrens are the parent’s children, and he is designer Guus Oosterbaan. And he is a genius. I said it. You can quote me. He is brilliant. I say he is brilliant because if I were a kid, I’d totally flip out for these boxes. I’d sit on them, put them together, talk to them, punch them in the face… Totally flip out.

WHO are we kidding, you and I? I am totally flipping out right now because these robots have automatic kid-spirit rays at their command! This man is definitely an awesome father. Take a seat and read a little:

Robox is a series of 9 storage boxes for kids. My idea is to create storage boxes that are fun to look at. Instead of boxes with repetitive motives, Robox create big robots which can be part of kids play (my kids find it very amusing to build robots that are much taller than themselves and then knock them over while shouting super-hero stuff).

Yes! A thousand times yes!

Each box is unique in print; each box has its own unique front, sides, backside, top and bottom. The boxes can be stored on shelves. The shelves become “invisible” when all boxes are placed, creating a very decorative surface.

And the best part (or maybe the worst!) is that these do not exist to buy yet - Oosterbaan still needs someone to collaborate with him [hint! guusoosterbaan@gmail.com] to get these boxes produced. That should be you. And I will join in because I definitely need to test-drive these.

Designer: Guus Oosterbaan

Robox the Robot Blocks by Guus Oosterbaan

robox02

robox03

robox04

robox05

robox06

A Light Up in Africa

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 02:06 AM PDT

Solar powered and good for 500 charges. First things last! Who is this product aimed at? Villagers. Impoverished or otherwise living without regular electricity. This is a light that allows people (children in school especially) read and work long after sundown where it would have been otherwise difficult to impossible.

Simple, nice.

The light is of course spelled LED and works in conjunction with a special anti-scratch coated perspex sheet. This sheet is placed on the page of the book making it possible to read in the dark.

The advanced 270mAh lithium-polymer battery provides light for 3.5 - 9 hours depending on brightness - there is a choice of high/middle/low dimming settings.

“My Reading Light” along with a slimmed down low-cost version, also in development, are expected to be available by autumn 2009. R U Down with the sheet of light?

It’s also important to mention that this particular design won an honorable mention for the 2009 Red Dot design awards. Boffo! Design: Shanghai Moma Industrial Product Design Co., Ltd., Shanghai, China (Wei Ding, Wen Gu) In-House Design: Philips Design.

Designer: Philips Design

My Reading Light by Philips Design

myreadinglight02

myreadinglight03

myreadinglight042

Evergreens In My Office

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 12:05 AM PDT

I work from home, so I don't have much of a clue about office environments and the arid-AC-air. But I take my friend's word for it, that office air sucks! Many try and prep-up the air by adding pots of plants, but that's another hassle of maintenance, she says. I suppose this Breathing Partition Stand will be good for an office. It has an exclusive area to place the plants whilst acting as a divider between work-desks. An automatic watering system takes care of the watering chore, and it would be a good idea to place low-maintenance varieties.

P.S. The slots in the partition makes it easier to spy on co-workers, so look out!

Designers: Jinsun Park & Seonkeun Park

Breathing Partition – Office Partitions by Jinsun Park & Seonkeun Park

b_partition2

b_partition3

b_partition4

b_partition5

b_partition6

Another Hanging!

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 12:00 AM PDT

I wonder if it's due to sadistic pleasures or insecurities of a cruel mind, that our designers like to mock death with their visions. How else can you explain the Hangman Noose we saw earlier, and this "Hangman Light"? While the former evoked a healthy debate on life, philosophy and design; I am keen to see what comments this lamp-on-a-death-roll generates. I for one believe in celebrating life and would never want something as stark as this hanging in my home. What about you….care to comment?

Designer: Ji-youn Kim

hang

Hangman Light by Ji-youn Kim

hang3

No comments: